Jump to Navigation

Columbia Orders of Protection Lawyer

Domestic Violence Attorney in Columbia, Missouri

Family lawyers see cases of domestic violence on a regular basis. Domestic violence affects all classes of people. If you are a victim of domestic violence and you fear reprisal for filing for divorce or leaving your spouse or partner, then you need to discuss this with your attorney.

Orders of Protection, which are commonly known as "adult abuse" orders can be sought in circuit court. This is a way by which the court orders one or both parties not to abuse, stalk, harass or threaten to abuse one or the other. In some cases, the court may restrict one or both parties from residing together, contacting or telephoning the other or seeing a child (if a child order of protection is sought).

Orders of Protection are relatively inexpensive (there is no fee to file one) and courts generally hear them within 10 to 15 days, and it is effective in stopping the abusive behavior in most cases. If an Order of Protection has been issued, the party holding the order has the remedy of having the police enforce the order. Local law enforcement agencies are provided with copies of any Order of Protection on the day it is issued. Local law enforcement officers can be called if a party violates the Order of Protection and in some cases the violator can be arrested. There are criminal and civil penalties for violating an Order of Protection and they can be serious and potentially affect employment, the ability to carry firearms among other things.

At The Bender Law Firm, I have extensive experience in all aspects of the laws concerning domestic violence and orders of protection. I represent clients seeking to obtain protection from violence and threats of violence. I also defend people against false or exaggerated claims of domestic violence.

Call 866-246-6794 toll free or send an e-mail to arrange for a free initial consultation.

Whatever your situation, you need to act quickly. Your safety, your lifestyle and your rights may be at stake.

Helping You Obtain an Order of Protection

Getting a protection order is a two step process.

You can a temporary order of protection by completing a form and filing it in circuit court. This is something you can do yourself with my assistance and advice.

Within two weeks, a hearing will be scheduled regarding the issuance of a final order of protection. At this hearing, I can present evidence to support your petition, as well as challenging any assertions made by the other party.

Defending Against Claims of Domestic Violence

In some cases, a party can make false or exaggerated claims of violence against another person. Often these allegations are made in an attempt to gain an advantage in a divorce or child custody dispute.

In this situation, you need strong and effective representation. If an order is issued against you, you can be forced out of your home and lose any custody or visitation rights you have. It can also prevent you from owning a firearm and affect your life in other detrimental ways.

I will work to develop an effective defense for you. I can present evidence in your favor and contest questionable assertions by the other party. At this point in your life, you need a strong advocate on your side. The Bender Law Firm will aggressively defend your rights.

Free Consultation With The Bender Law Firm

For a free initial consultation with Bender Law Firm, call 866-246-6794 toll free or contact me online.

Areas of Our Practice How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.